Picking up the Blue Mage class in Final Fantasy 14 is one heck of a task. It’s a class that’s kinda pushed away from everyone else, and thus is incredibly hard to actually level up by standard routes. You can’t do normal dungeon crawls (without other Blue Mages to manually join you) and you’re asked to fight basic opponents constantly. That’s because Blue Mages learn spells from watching opponents attack, and then copying those special moves. Now that Shadowbringers is out, getting to max level is a little harder than it was in the past… And yet, if you have some friends and a bit of luck, it’s not too hard to get to level 60! So, grab a buddy at level 80 and read on through our FFXIV Blue Mage Leveling Guide.
Blue Mage Leveling Guide
In order to begin your journey, you need a “tag” skill. This skill will deal a small amount of damage to a monster from a safe distance. Water cannon can work, but a cast time of 2.5 is a little dangerous. Sticky Tongue can guarantee hits, so you don’t have to deal with missing. Once you get to level 30, learn Flying Sardine from the Apkallu in Eastern La Noscea (x27, y35). This is an instant-cast, range 25 ability, so you can run-and-gun quite easily with it.
Actually Leveling Up
Blue mages gain levels fast from slaying mobs outside of dungeons. Thanks to FFXIV’s Kill Streak, killing a ton of mobs outside of dungeons levels you fast. So, if you can get a high-level friend, have them not be in a party with you. Then, run around an area that you and your friend feel comfortable with. You don’t want the enemies to be too high level; the game is getting better at picking up exploits like that. Try to have them be 10-20 levels higher at maximum.
Shoot one water cannon at the enemy (that hits them). And then, once they’ve aggro’d on you, run. Your friend should kill it quickly (another reason not to have them fight level 80 enemies!) to avoid your death. If you can find enemies that prefer melee attacks, that would be easier for your friend.
This will not get you a ton of Blue Mage spells. Once you’re level 50-60, it might behoove you to get some of those Blue Mage skills from enemies outside of a dungeon in order to better enter the level 60 dungeon roulette… To get actual Blue Mage skills!
What Spells Are Best?
Since you get spells by watching monsters perform the attack, your list of options are slightly limited. For your full list of options, please use the fantastic FFXIV wiki! That will give you the full use of options and the location of those options.
Blue Mages can be placed into any of the three roles; tank, magical DPS, and healing.
- Exuviation: Big ol’ healing spell! Grabbed from Abalathian Wamura. You might want to pull two enemies for this one.
- Pom Cure: Heals your entire party for 500! That’s crazy! But you need to get to the point where you can do Thornmarch, on either Hard or Extreme.
- Mighty Guard: This is essentially your Tank Stance. You have to learn 10 Blue Mage spells and you get this from just getting the Totem from Wayward Gaheel Ja.
- Frog Legs: Learned from the Poroggos in the Dravinian Hinterlands (x12, y34). This provokes all enemies around you; similar to Provoke for normal Tanks.
- Cactguard: You reduce damage taken by the entire party by 15%! That’s legitimately strong, but you learn it from the Sabotender Guardia in the Sunken Temple of Qarn. So… A bit of a pain.
Most blue mage spells are DPS! Learn whatever you want, though remember that your best spells will be from dungeons or trials!
See Also: FFXIV Mounts Guide
Nerds and Scoundrels
That wraps up our FFXIV Blue Mage Leveling Guide. Questions? Concerns? Hit us up in the comment section below!